Oct 25, 2009

Party like an ex-Mo!

(Shortened version, though it goes MUCH deeper than this!)

I removed my records from the Mormon church when I was 22 (now 24) after being an official member of the church since 12 years of age. There is a saying among many former Mormons, that is "party like an ex-Mo" for when we truly leave the church (removing ones records as opposed to simply being inactive). Partying like an ex-Mo -- ex-Mormon -- is the celebration one partakes in, whether alone or with like-minded friends, where you usually drink an alcoholic beverage and blaspheme against the church! :-)
But honestly, it seems more like an emotional party than a physical one. For those who have removed their records, many of them were previously inactive members for a period of time so have already "partied" in ways that directly contract church teachings.

I could go into much more detail about the LDS church and what drove me away, and while I'm always open to further discussion on this topic, I must say that looking back I realize I was never 100% convinced about a deity at all. This occurred even AFTER being inactive and seeking out alternate non-denominational churches. I even went to the point of seeking out other religions, and while I started becoming interested in the Eastern religions such as Buddhism, I couldn't quite part with that feeling of trying to convince myself a deity existed at all. Secure in my Atheism NOW, I finally saw my fall from religion in the making, only then I just didn't know what that feeling was and what do to with it. Coupled with many disagreements on how the church was ran and the "policies" it incorporated, I'm not surprised at all that I embraced Atheism, as I was practically leaning towards Agnosticism as a teenager to early adult-hood!

0 comments:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us